Bells of York

Richard Offen richard at ...
Sun Sep 18 21:48:45 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant"
<davidbryant at h...> wrote:
> As many of you will know, I have surveyed all of the bells in York
and have my researches ready for publication. However, having looked
into the costs of professional publication it is clear that there is
no way it will be viable. It would take a long time to break even, if
I ever did, and I simply cannot afford the outlay.

> The only real alternative is to get it printed by a copying bureau,
and comb bound with a card back cover and an acetate front. Although
this is far from ideal, it is preferable to it sitting on my computer
and never seeing the light of day! The cost is likely to be in the
region £12-15 including p&p. Can anyone who is interested please
email me off-list. If there is sufficient demand, I will go ahead.

> Thanks
>
> David

Could you not get a grant to enable you to publish the work
properly?

George Elphick got grants from Manifold Trust, Francis Coales
Charitable Foundation and the British Academy to enable him to
publish "The Craft of the Bell Founder". A very rapid whizz through
my "Directory of Grant Making Trusts" shows that there are also a few
more that might be able to help.

Richard