[Bell Historians] Re: Bells of York

Ron Johnston, Department of Geographical Sciences R.Johnston at ...
Mon Sep 19 09:39:28 BST 2005

Alternatively, if you are not in it to make money (!) just put it on
the web as a .pdf file, give it an ISBN (does soemthing have to be in
hard copy to earn one?) - and see how many downloads

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 20:48:45 -0000 Richard Offen <richard at ...>
wrote:

> --- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant"
> <davidbryant at h...> wrote:
> > As many of you will know, I have surveyed all of the bells in York
> and have my researches ready for publication. However, having looked
> into the costs of professional publication it is clear that there is
> no way it will be viable. It would take a long time to break even, if
> I ever did, and I simply cannot afford the outlay.
> >
> > The only real alternative is to get it printed by a copying bureau,
> and comb bound with a card back cover and an acetate front. Although
> this is far from ideal, it is preferable to it sitting on my computer
> and never seeing the light of day! The cost is likely to be in the
> region £12-15 including p&p. Can anyone who is interested please
> email me off-list. If there is sufficient demand, I will go ahead.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > David
>
> Could you not get a grant to enable you to publish the work
> properly?
>
> George Elphick got grants from Manifold Trust, Francis Coales
> Charitable Foundation and the British Academy to enable him to
> publish "The Craft of the Bell Founder". A very rapid whizz through
> my "Directory of Grant Making Trusts" shows that there are also a few
> more that might be able to help.
>
> Richard
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Ron Johnston