St Mark, New Ferry

Peter Humphreys pfh at ...
Thu Sep 22 14:25:10 BST 2005

I have taken photographs of the single bell at St Mark, New Ferry,
Bebington, Wirral.

I had been asked by the Chester Diocesan Bell Advisor, Peter Dyson, to
try to identify the reason for it not striking (when it should).

The bell is hung dead in a bellcote, the chiming being effected by
pulling on a chain which, through an L-shaped mechanism, would normally
pull the clapper onto the bell. The clapper and mechanism have become
detached so the cause is now self evident.

I understand the church was consecrated around 1865 but the bell
appears, from the inscription, to be dated A.D. 188(7?). Note that there
is no access to the bell, the photographs being taken from ground level.
If anyone would like a copy of the two photographs, please let me know.

Does anyone have any data on this bell? It appears to be a 'proper' bell
and has three moulding wires on the soundbow and two more substantial
ones on the shoulder.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Peter Humphreys
15 Mount Park, Bebington, Wirral CH63 5RD
Tel: 0151-608 9434
e-mail: pfh at ...
Skype Name (VOIP): pfhbdh