[Bell Historians] Re: National Bell Database

David Bryant davidbryant at ...
Mon Sep 26 14:56:16 BST 2005

I do not consider people on this list to be the type of ringer with no
knowledge of bells - the very fact that people are members of this list
shows that they are interested in bells. The idea of branch secretaries
being asked to contribute data whether or not they have knowledge of bells
is what I would strongly object to. The people who would be suitable are
those who are interested in bells (obviously!) and these are likely to be
best identified by 'the old boy network', for want of a better term - bell
historians tend to know other bell historians.

I think the issue is accuracy, though. Ask many ringers to inspect a ring of
bells and provide details of them and most wouldn't know where to start -
you'd probably get an incomplete set of inscriptions and nothing else. I do
not believe that there is any provision in the Central Council for
identifying suitable people - the majority will not be members of the
Council - and therefore the issue of identifying people who are known to
provide accurate information could prove a tricky one.