[Bell Historians] Re: National Bell Database

Mike Chester mike at ...
Tue Sep 27 18:58:23 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, Shaun Brown
<shaun.d.brown at g...> wrote:
> Surely it owuld make sense to simply extend dove, rather than
setting up a
> totally seperate database.

I am not sure that John Baldwin would agree with this statement as it
would inevitably add extra to his already heavy workload. There have
been 31 changes to Dove this month already that are considered
important enough to note on the "Changes" page and another 66 that
are not (if I have counted correctly, but you get my drift). John is
in full time employment and is already in the non-stipendiary
ministry.

Even if a way was found to let others enter of data in some way it
would be at the expense if some of John's valuable free time in terms
of cross checking, etc. I suspect that another edition of Dove must
be on the way soon as well and this will further reduce his leisure
time.

It would be very easy to link between a register and Dove on-line.
Also, the Dove data is freely available as a text file to anyone to
use as they see fit. (See the bottom right corner of the homepage).
To set up a database using Dove data would actually be only a tiny
part of the project in terms of time expended. I suspect that
considerably more time would be taken up entering data for churches
with 1 or 2 bells and those not hung for ringing. (I further suspect
that, once the level of data is decided, someone with the correct ICT
skills could set up a database using the Dove data alone in an
evening)

You mention the National Pipe Organ Register. If my information is
correct, it is this Register that eats up c.£8000pa. To put it
another way, in less than 12 years the equivalent of the entire
liquid assets of the CC would be expended on this project alone.

Andrew Wilby is spot on - "you" need to identify source(s) of
continuing finance and also get together a business plan before
dashing down the road of producing a register.

Mike