proto-National Bell Register work

John Baldwin Dovemaster at ...
Tue Sep 27 22:39:24 BST 2005

The following has been prepared to provide some factual information
for all who may be interested in what has happened (via one person's
effort) towards a proposed National Bell Register. It would appear
that most of the postings in the last few days have taken little
account of what can already be found within the Dove website.

If one goes to the Help section of Dove, where the search facilities
are described, the reader will find, within the 4th paragraph
after 'and press the "Go" button' (near the top), a link to the
following page:

http://www.cccbr.org.uk/dove/bellsTableDesc.php

and that particular webpage indicates just where the work I have been
progressing - within the context of the Dove project - has reached.
Approximately 2% of all towers containing rings of 3 and upwards are
now showing details of their bells. (OK - not the full gamut of bell
locations - but it's a start.)

Towards the end of the same page, I deal with 'Errors and Omissions'
and 'Supplying Details'. Both of these sections will be amended in
the course of the next few weeks as the further facilities on which
we (ie, my son Sid and I) are actively working become available for
people 'who think they know' to tell us 'what they know' - and all
such contributions will be gratefully received and acknowledged.

After a short period (with some invited participants) to assess the
usability of what we have designed, people generally will be able to
supply us with (relatively) SMALL amounts of data (ie, on a bell by
bell basis for any given tower), and to supply corrections for what
is already being shown. I hope that is now not too far ahead for me
to be 'announcing it' here.

Those with LARGE quantities of data (for instance, held as a
multitower spreadsheet or a database) will appreciate that conversion
between their own particular format and any other format (in the Dove
case, that suitable for importing into the underlying database) often
has to be done on a one-off basis and it will take a little longer to
be able to give general guidelines as to how best such bulk data can
be presented to make wholesale inclusion as painless for me as
possible. I am hopeful that the CCC will be able to give their
approval for much of George Dawson's data to be incorporated in this
way, and if others are similarly prepared to share their results, I'd
be grateful to hear from them - in due course. Comments on where
we're at are also welcome, but I would appreciate those making them
to bear in mind the huge amount of time this work takes up (and
actually I am no longer working full-time!).

As indicated above, this is a one-person project within the context
of Dove (and not - as I quite wittingly guided the Central Council at
Llandudno - under the umbrella of its Committee for Redundant Bells)
in order to make a start towards a National Bell Register and, at
present, at no monetary cost to anyone. The results of this work and
all the data that we acquire will be made available to any full NBR
project as and when it is properly defined and formally set up and
appropriately staffed. The questions that others have already raised
about its scope, ownership, cost, effort, etc, are all highly
relevant to a fully fledged project.