[Bell Historians] Saffron Walden

David Cawley dave at IS5BwLhMm9YbT-le0n6yCzvwjNzeq7P-PbfH_w94A5OAt1QJpigvcdrH2x0LvttYplL0atCUI0Ys7fDklnLlfVbP6z9v.yahoo.invalid
Sun Apr 2 00:11:42 BST 2006

Arising from what Jim said:

In 1994 we replaced the 60-year old fabricated steel headstock off Great
George of Bristol; it now has a Taylor hollow box-section cast-iron
horseshoe pattern one.
Not surprisingly the old headstock was not galvanised and the condition of
its interior had to be seen to be believed. There was a great deal of water
in it, which was a sort of green/brown colour - and as the bell could not be
left up it is curious how the copper deposit got there.
Further, new bell bolts had been inserted some years before. These were
nickel plated but much of the coating had come away and they were already
corroding.
Here the bell is hung in an open lantern and the humidity comes in the forms
of rainfall and evaporation and I'm told the new stock and bolts have thus
far behaved very satisfactorily.
Hollow box section cast iron stocks have now been generally around since the
1890's and except on very small bells they cannot be bettered.
I suppose tubular steel is cheaper and easier to work. The ones I've seen
don't even have the merit of looking nicer.

DLC