Liverpool Cathedral Bells - Inscriptions

Jonathon Wild boyracer76 at dpwXCurTdMVK5hPX1R-kz7iMIDjO1q1V7MbdQYIS5mVLWjGp6HgTEhdZ7tmgaN7KQuZ0AMaNI3P3lawRV5X3yQ-Wh82d.yahoo.invalid
Tue Apr 11 21:59:45 BST 2006

Hi All,

During my ongoing research on the bells at Liverpool Cathedral, I
have come across the inscriptions for each bell, including Great George.

I hope these will be of interest.

I will also be updating my (renamed) www.liverpoolbells.moonfruit.com
with very rare drawings and pictures of the Cathedral that I have
come across and will announce it on the main page when done - give me
a few days!

Cheers
Jon Wild

The diameter of Great George is 9ft by 6ins and its inscription reads:

Make a Joyful Noise unto the Lord All Ye Lands
To the Glory of God
in Thankfulness for Great Mercies
Received and in Affectionate Remembrance
of the City of Liverpool
William Baron Vestey of Kingswood
and His Wife Evelyn
with
Sir Edmund Hoyle Vestey Baronet
and His Wife Ellen
Gave Me in the year
1937
And in Memory of King George V
Named me
Great George
_______________________________

The Bartlett bells have a more complicated series of inscriptions. In
accordance with ancient custom, bells should each have a name and in
this case the names have been chosen by men prominently associated
with the Cathedral at the time of the casting, such as the Bishop and
the Architect.
In addition, all 13 have texts which, with the exception of the
first, are taken from the Prayer Book version of the Psalms, and
express in a dozen different ways the spirit of the Benedicite and
the Jubilate.

_______________________________
Tenor Bell:

Thou Art the King of Glory O Christ
Thomas Bartlett
who died 4th September, 1912, by his will
left money to provide this ring of
thirteen bells which were cast by
Mears & Stainbank at Whitechapel
1938&1939
The Lord Bishop of Liverpool
The Rt Rev Albert Augustus David, D.D.
named me

Emmanuel
_______________________________

Eleventh Bell

Hear My Prayer O Lord and let My Crying Come Unto Thee
The Very Rev the Dean of Liverpool
Frederick William Dwelly, M.A, D.D.
and the Canons Residentiary
The Rev James Stanley Bezzant, M.A, B.D, Chancellor
The Rev Thomas Arthur Edward Davey, M.A. Treasurer
The Rt Rev Herbert Gresford Jones, M.A, D.D,
Bishop of Warrington
and
The Rev John Thomas Mitchell M.A, B.D,
named me

James
______________________________

Tenth Bell

O Come Let Us Sing Unto the Lord
The President of the Cathedral Committee
Edward George Villiers, 17th Earl of Derby
K.G, G.C.B., G.C.V.O., C.B
Lord Lieutenant of the County of Lancaster
and Chancellor of Liverpool University
named me

Oswald
______________________________

Ninth Bell

My Praise is of Thee in the Great Congregation
The Vice-President of the Cathedral Committee
Sir Frederick Morton Radcliffe, K.C.V.O., LL.D
named me

Peter
______________________________

Eighth Bell

All Thy Works Praise Thee O Lord
The Chairman of the Cathedral Executive Committee
Alan Cecil Tod, O.B.E., T.D.
named me

Martin
______________________________

Seventh Bell

Sing We Merrily unto God Our Strength
The Vice-Chairman of the Cathedral Executive Committee
Henry Sutton Timmis
named me

Nicholas
______________________________

Sixth Bell

Be Joyful All Ye that are True of Heart
The Treasurers of the Cathedral Committee
Sir Charles Henry Morton, Knt
and
Harold Carleton Walker
named me

Michael.
______________________________

Fifth Bell

Ascribe unto the Lord Worship and Power
The Secretaries to the Cathedral Committee
Horace Milner Alderson Smith
and
Vere Egerton Cotton, C.B.E., T.D
named me

Guthlac
______________________________

Fourth Bell

Rejoice in the Lord O Ye Righteous
The Architect
Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, Knt, R.A.
named me

Gilbert
______________________________

Third Bell

Thy Way is in the Sea and Thy Paths in the Great Waters
The Builders
Dudley Morrison
Norman Morrison
William Lionel Wade
and
John Turton
named me

Chad
_____________________________

Second Bell

Let the Heavens Rejoice and Let the Earth be Glad
The Clerk of the Works
Owen Pittaway
and
The Foreman
William Benjamin Meredith
named me

Paul
_____________________________

Sharp Second Bell

Every Day until I Give Thanks unto Thee
The Organist
Walter Henry Goss Custard, MUS.BAC, F.R.C.O
and
The Choral Conductor
Edgar Cyril Robinson, MUS.BAC, F.R.C.O.
named me