Imber

Neil Skelton neil.tcct at xrObVeVnaii2XybITzlg0zG8Z4evK3Oe_FFw2cXYQecKOVlAG7Gi_j5GNFKk-Ef8gCSKWhvlxFW2RxhL0rU.yahoo.invalid
Sat Apr 15 09:22:22 BST 2006

It may be of interest to those in the Wiltshire area (or further afield) to know that the church will be open to the public tomorrow (Easter Day 16th April) from 1400 until 1800 hours. Although there are no longer any bells in the tower, the bellframe and some interesting 17th century bell changes painted on the north wall remain.  Access to the tower by the general public is not normally permitted. However, any ringers expressing an interest in seeing inside will be accommodated and on the condition that no one sets foot on the first floor. The nearest A & E Dept is some miles away and across the rugged terrain of Salisbury Plain. Whilst I shall be on hand, I have the most basic skills in First Aid! However, anyone falling through the floor will probably need an undertaker unless the rope guide frame catches them first!

The church is in the care of The Churches Conservation Trust which has recently completed the first of three phases of repair.

I do apologise for this very short notice. There are very good reasons for this and which I will not go into here. I hope that the church will be open again at some point over the Late Spring Bank Holiday but that will depend on the MoD opening the roads through the former village. I hope to be in a position to give advance notice of this when the position becomes clear.

THE PUBLIC IS ADVISED NOT TO STRAY FROM THE METALLED ROADS, OTHER THAN THE TRACK UP TO THE CHURCH. TRESPASSERS ARE LIABLE TO PROSECUTION.

Oh, and in case someone should ask. There is no plan to put bells back in the tower!  Well, someone's bound to ask, aren't they?

Neil Skelton.