Tuning forks

Richard Offen richard at Pa4j3Fp5PvD0WjLH1YBKS39p9bN-ux2lU65WAXSk-F1oXRXY0sITJkC9liYsq6sQcB6-5-LNX8VE.yahoo.invalid
Sat Apr 15 14:27:54 BST 2006

> The bells I previously mentioned were all tuned by forks
> and are superb examples of tuning at its best.  Evesham
> were also tuned with forks alone and perhaps David can
> confirm Evesham were tuned by Paul Taylor.  A modern
> C-sharp ring does not have the magic of Evesham.

Please explain to us what you think the difference is between a bell
tuned using tuning-forks and one using an electronic pitching device?

Both tuning-forks and electronic pitch measuring devices are merely a
fixed reference point, which enable an accurate determination of the
frequency of any given partial tone.   What is done with that
information is the important thing, NOT how it is obtained.

I know several organ tuners who now use an electronic pitch reference
when tuning an organ.   The main difference with this tuning (and
that of a piano) and tuning a bell, is that adjustments are easily
made in either direction.   An organ or piano tuner can quite safely
do his or her tuning by ear as the process is reversible, the process
involved in tuning a bell is not, therefore fixed references such as
tuning-forks, or an electronic device, have to be used so as not to
make expensive mistakes.

The difference between a ring tune with forks and one tuned with an
electronic device is pure nostalgia!

Richard