Baldrick - was Tuning forks

La Greenall eldeworth at
Wed Apr 19 16:27:51 BST 2006

What is/was a "baldric" please, in relation to church bells? I've found
a mention of one in my local churchwardens' accounts for 1626, and
beyond adapting the standard dictionary definition of an ornate belt
worn over one shoulder, I wonder what it could refer to?

The entry:

"Item for iiii keyes and a boult for the baldricke for the fourth
Bell... 0-1-0"

Cheers, Lawrence, Waltham Abbey.

Don't suppose clappers were once called blackadders were they?

> -----Original Message-----
> From: bellhistorians at 
> [mailto:bellhistorians at] On Behalf Of 
> Bickerton, Roderic K (SELEX) (UK)
> Sent: 19 April 2006 08:35
> To: bellhistorians at
> Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] SG/WI - was Tuning forks
> Clapper indentation is a different issue and is much more 
> dependent on the way the ball hits the bell than the material.
> the old baldric...

No virus found in this outgoing message. Ha Haa!
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.385 / Virus Database: 268.4.4/318 - Release Date:


More information about the Bell-historians mailing list