[Bell Historians] Baldrick - was Tuning forks

edward martin edward.w.martin at b6zcXU4oJUFhPaxAcwhX5EukNMgvIcK3JDG7cV-bDgxEdci4zN88z3VEOdlO8sNzx16n1nMSUThlBwSfG2UqGw.yahoo.invalid
Wed Apr 19 16:50:06 BST 2006

Hello
my copy of the older edition of the OED has
"4: The leather-gear with its apurtenances, by which the clapper of a church
bell was suspended. Obs." but I always thought (with no memorable evidence
in support) that it was a leather washer between the top of the clapper and
the inside of the bell