[Bell Historians] Warner foundry closure

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at vaXL4-ZhoYF6MkF0BV9R37zl4ypy8wg-a7s5A9XIOGdJhmLFz3WmK99YfUYDAblFMVhe0EhYxswfds0ZPA.yahoo.invalid
Mon Apr 24 20:51:14 BST 2006

An inquiry to the Olsen Nauen bellfoundry, based on their known
enlargement of the Stavanger carillon, produced this response:

>The carillon in Stavanger was installed 1922. The 22 bells where made by
>Warner Bellfoundry.
>
>The biggest bell was 1072kg, dia 1230mm, note E'.
>The smallest was 45 kg, dia 408mm, note Cis'''.
>
>In 1998 we (Olsen Nauen Klokkestøperi AS) did a total
>restauration/rehabilitation of the carillon and also made 15 new bells,
>making it a total of 37 bell. We made a new steel suspension frame, new
>clappers, new transmission, new manual keyboard (Clock-O-Matic) and practice
>keyboard (Reinold van Zijl). All prepared for a total of 49 bells.
>
>In 2000 we made another new 12 bells, making the carillon a total of 49
>bells from E' to E''''', 1072-12kg. (E' is C' on the keyboard).
>
>The carillon is only operated through the manual/mechanical keyboard, no
>automatics has been installed.

So it is confirmed that in 1922 Warner supplied a fully chromatic
chime of 22 bells based on E of 21-0-11.  Although the Olsen Nauen
foundry did not specifically mention the dates on the bells, I expect
that they all are the same.  Since all apparently remain in place (on
their new frame), anyone who wishes to visit there should be able to
verify that.

CSZ