[Bell Historians] Warner foundry closure

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at JknChSMNrTOU4btD_G0UOVaepBwHKuXKklN-jAi5TPy8FwNye9ORZjzXHdjsJMpIRJwO42A-z42A6e2RpEA-L9_08Bj-6A.yahoo.invalid
Mon Apr 24 22:12:28 BST 2006

Very pleased to have these details - thanks, Carl. Information on the size of the chime is especially useful to have.

I slightly suspect they were cast 1921, installed 1922 - but only because 1921 is the date I'd previously been given and it fits with other late Warner work.

CP
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Carl S Zimmerman
  To: Bell Historians List
  Sent: Monday, April 24, 2006 8:51 PM
  Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Warner foundry closure

  An inquiry to the Olsen Nauen bellfoundry, based on their known
  enlargement of the Stavanger carillon, produced this response:

  >The carillon in Stavanger was installed 1922. The 22 bells where made by
  >Warner Bellfoundry.
  >
  >The biggest bell was 1072kg, dia 1230mm, note E'.
  >The smallest was 45 kg, dia 408mm, note Cis'''.
  >
  >In 1998 we (Olsen Nauen Klokkestøperi AS) did a total
  >restauration/rehabilitation of the carillon and also made 15 new bells,
  >making it a total of 37 bell. We made a new steel suspension frame, new
  >clappers, new transmission, new manual keyboard (Clock-O-Matic) and practice
  >keyboard (Reinold van Zijl). All prepared for a total of 49 bells.
  >
  >In 2000 we made another new 12 bells, making the carillon a total of 49
  >bells from E' to E''''', 1072-12kg. (E' is C' on the keyboard).
  >
  >The carillon is only operated through the manual/mechanical keyboard, no
  >automatics has been installed.

  So it is confirmed that in 1922 Warner supplied a fully chromatic
  chime of 22 bells based on E of 21-0-11.  Although the Olsen Nauen
  foundry did not specifically mention the dates on the bells, I expect
  that they all are the same.  Since all apparently remain in place (on
  their new frame), anyone who wishes to visit there should be able to
  verify that.

  CSZ

        Ringing  Bell