[Bell Historians] surprising Campanophile listing

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at axaaBK4z77PN9DBn4rXIc8llxV5WlIkDk_IJK111BgiOGoRhYWkjvHH_j-zV0egzh0ldQWTUPf4PJFHm.yahoo.invalid
Tue Aug 8 04:47:29 BST 2006

Many thanks to all who have contributed to the discussion of
Veronese-hung bells versus other kinds of stay-less hanging.  I shall
amend the Webpage at
    <http://www.gcna.org/data/ONEXETER.HTM>http://www.gcna.org/data/ONEXETER.HTM
to replace the present statement:
    Back six bells are hung Veronese style,
    but can be rung to changes.
with the following:
    The six bass bells are each hung for swinging
    in American standard fittings, but the roping
    has been modified to permit them to swing
    full circle (but without stays); this makes
    change ringing possible, though difficult.

Incidentally, information about the donor of the church and bells is
now available online.  Mr. Trivitt was an Englishman, and so must
have heard change ringing before he emigrated to Canada.  It seems
reasonable to assume that he knew enough to specify that six bells in
the new chime should swing, but not enough to specify exactly how
that should work.

I really should find a way to get to Exeter to inspect these bells,
to see just how they have been modified from McShane's customary work
elsewhere.  I'd also like to determine, if possible, how much of that
modification might have been done as part of the original
installation, and how much was likely done later.

--
Carl Scott Zimmerman                       Co-Webmaster:  www.gcna.org
Voicemail: +1-314-821-8437 (home)            Email: csz_stl at Ewz2tAQao6oBj0dRwuBjXFO5KSEzLgIJCs0wRT40FrY8l0i7Qv5qu_tZgifwMPV7v9SBMQdzs4L72Q.yahoo.invalid