[Bell Historians] Re: Photographs

Richard Offen richard at UAkSrJaUDL2AN4WqAxgFjK99ptoJ_tfcPRHmseBPdnBUtjTtxev5uLLz9BZKmJ-Z_afaVtJZ.yahoo.invalid
Tue Aug 15 16:13:35 BST 2006

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Cawley" <dave at ...>
wrote:

> How early is early? They don't come much earlier than the Iwade in
that fine
> image on this excellent site.
>
> Inter alia, I have a shot of the earliest inscribed bell in Kent,
complete
> with RCO's foot :)
>
> DLC

I am currently chasing the National Museum of Ireland to see if I can
use photographs of St Patrick's Bell and the Bell of Armagh, but it
would also be good to have some of the other pre-Conquest handbells,
such as the one found in a pond at Marden, Herefordshire.

I also have photographs of a couple of the bells found at Nineveh,
but as I do not know who owns the copyright of these picture, I
cannot use them.

The photo you have of the bell at Stodmarsh contains an early example
of black shoe decoration, unlike black letter it's quite a rarity in
camapanalogical circles!