[Bell Historians] Re: Photographs

Richard Offen richard at IjDe6Jh9geLcAamWBpLL6mvOOxuZZy3VPFa57CpGmKoQ1tdXphNRw93B5kjWGnC6EtrHIGs8Wv_V.yahoo.invalid
Wed Aug 16 02:38:42 BST 2006

> Hello Richard
> I was SOOOOO gratified to read your rendition of the word
> 'camapanalogical', You, I, & Fabian Stedman seem to be the only ones
> who would spell it so.Most everyone else prefers 'camapanological'
> which may be good Greek but has nothing to do with the title of the
> book Campanalogia (which in my copy of OED is incorrectly spelt
> 'Campanolgia' shame on them.
>
> Anyhoo  Congrats on your contributions to the webpage  - a very
useful site

> mew

Hi Ed,

I'm afraid to admit that my spelling of 'campanological' had more to do
with a posting made late at night after a long day than any particular
foundation in Greek or Double Dutch!

Thanks for the compliment on the web site.   We are very pleased with
what we've achieved so far.    It has taken many hours of very
enjoyable work on my part researching and editing and an equally long
time for Peter Trotman who has made the site so easy to use.

I have also put together a Power Point presentation, which I first used
for a lecture I gave earlier this year at the University of Western
Australia.   We hope to make a version of this available on CD at some
point soon.

There are still many more pictures I would like to add, but finding
really good quality images is not always easy.   It seems that not
everyone who takes photographs has an eye for detail.   Take the
Cheltenham web site which David Bryant referred to in his recent
posting for example,   that contains a potentially very good shot of
the ringers in action, but the photograph is totally ruined (for me at
any rate!) by the tat that has been left on the ringing room table
(handbags, sweet jars, etc).

When I was doing picture research for the recent Central Council
recruiting leaflet, I was supplied with a wonderful shot of a ringer in
action at a ground floor ring, taken looking up the nave.   Magnificent

except for the large cardboard box sitting on the font plinth beside
the ringer and the pile of crumpled altar linen and surplices on a
table to the right!   Oh dear!

Call me Mr Picky if you like, but years of commissioning the country's
top photographers for National Trust photo shoots (and looking at Chris
Dalton's near perfect bell shots) has left me very fussy about the
pictures I use.   In a world where we are bombarded with exceptional
images, we need to portray bells and bell ringing in as professional a
way as possible.

Sorry, I'll get down off my soap box now!

Richard