Proto-NBR and musical scales

Michael Wilby michael at jt6dlHRQ4RiyiLy_kDDYIOBBa8fck9mnjKe8A0_qU-8UBky38xAjtva93qyEMPGwmX3_bQpkJa4CjSFKJYJam9bWhgLWQw.yahoo.invalid
Fri Dec 1 14:49:30 GMT 2006

Without being critical of the work John Baldwin is undertaking, can I
suggest there should be a review and common agreed standard around
the recording of individual notes within the scale of a ring of bells?

I post two examples from the Dove website, one for a ring in C# and
another for a ring with a tenor given as D#.  I seem to recall some
discussion about how bell notes are listed a while back, but I think
the two examples, especially the latter, demonstrate how difficult it
can be to make any sense when using the "piano keyboard view" of a
scale.

http://www.cccbr.org.uk/dove/detail.php?DoveID=BLOXHAM

http://www.cccbr.org.uk/dove/detail.php?DoveID=ASHBY+DE+Z

In the first example, the correct musical notation would have the
second expressed as B# and the sixth as E#.  The latter example is a
real confusion of keys, with some notes from the scale of D#
(presumably as advised by the founder), and others from E-flat!  So
you can either have it as (tenor first) D# E# Fx G# A# B# Cx D# E# Fx
(where x denotes "double sharp"), or Eb F G Ab Bb C D Eb F G, but not
as-is.  To express either ring as currently published is musical
nonsense, and while I'm sure there are good intentions behind
recording bells thus, in practice it is dumbing-down and ultimately
is not helpful.

To the novice pianist, notes such as B# and E# don't *apparently*
exist on a piano keyboard, but music written for piano in keys such
as C# include B# and E# in their scores.  All stringed
instrumentalists would have no problem in the concept of playing an
E# if required!

Bells are musical instruments tuned to musical keys: let's notate
them as such.

MPAW