[Bell Historians] Musical scales, bell register

Mike Chester mike at 2lipBscFH_6BRjKakzbYUh4mZktyrNIxq4pZU7DCcCNG02f67hcpZshUxGEC8O4bkdHkecJMCBLgytepvmk_L3fe.yahoo.invalid
Mon Dec 4 13:36:35 GMT 2006

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Bickerton, Roderic K \(SELEX\)
\(UK\)" <roderic.bickerton at ...> wrote:
> Regarding the bell register, why have notes at all?
> Surely the frequencies (Hz) are all that is necessary, and preferably
> all 5.

No! This would take away the meaning of what the vast majority of
ringers understand by the note of their tenor bell.  You would make the
register more exclusive to people than inclusive.  It would also mean
an exponentially higher amount of work has to be done on a voluntary
basis with the rewards being understood by only a tiny fraction of the
ringing population.

> Perhaps the register could eventually contain a small sound bite of
the
> bell being struck, so that predominance decay and other analysis could
> be done if a researcher wished.

There are currently 28,133 bells in the proto-NBR, equating to 58.7% of
the total bells IN RINGS OF 3 OR MORE. On my calculations this would
mean a total of around 48,000 bells needed to be recorded. The cost in
time and money of adding these to the database would vastly outweigh
the limited value that would be gained from it.  Perhaps a selection of
bells that are noteable for being particularly good, or even bad, or a
typical example of a given founder, perhaps, but every bell?  I doubt
it.

Mike