[Bell Historians] Musical scales, bell register

edward martin edward.w.martin at JH4agocokmHTtjCYpAP2t5BE4q4I2yPVGrqMj-Gj0AI4v7sa1AWhCbUJwQFmjtA2wyjE73bjB2Kf1YAnufWQjFqz.yahoo.invalid
Mon Dec 4 15:23:21 GMT 2006

I am still very new to the internet & its many resources, I have looked at
Wikipedia several times and have found several inaccuracies or misleading
statements. What seems to me is that since anybody apparently can make
entries and anybody else can make alterations to what is already there, how
is it consistantly useful or to be trusted as being at all 'scholarly' ?

When you wrote
" with deletions only allowed by a moderator and all data automatically
attributed to the person who supplies it."
Who is the moderator, apparently all-knowing on each & every subject?
Likewise, I have often wondered 'who wrote THAT?' but have no idea how to
find out!

I apologise to the list if this is off-topic, but if it is a recommended
search engine for accurate data then I for one would like to know more about
credentials.  For example, the on-line  version of the Tintinnalogia' to
which you refer. when it first came on-line, I compared it word for word
with my photo-copy of the original, and found only one very minor error (in
my opinion an error!) ; in addition, this copy is taken NOT from the
original  publication but from the second edition. As far as I can tell,
these two editions are identical in content, differing only in the title
page. I contacted the stated publishers telling them, but recieved no reply
and have observed no alterations or additional information to the effect
that their copy is NOT of the first edition.  Perhaps small insignificant
nit-picking on my part, but it has generated a certain amount of mistrust.

To return to your posting & its suggestion: If the Wikipedia was used  as
you describe, how trustworthy would it be and under what authority?

Thanks
mew