[Bell Historians] Musical scales, bell register

Mike Chester mike at 4IDBAeu0VlUv53ihBx_zUZq_B5xXY4Us2ykjWIh8lEWcmLyEFVm3qHuUvbSk8p6OaIiTsAaPVeXNAAqibaoHlGrcIzc.yahoo.invalid
Wed Dec 6 10:52:34 GMT 2006

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Bickerton, Roderic K
\(SELEX\) \(UK\)" <roderic.bickerton at ...> wrote:

>  5 years ago I would have whole heartedly agreed, but Campanophile
seems
> to work reasonably well.

What you are proposing is in a completely different league in terms
of the work that is required by the "moderator" of the Dove site.
Just think of all the possibilities for someone to have to cross-
reference conflicting pieces of data.  For instance, it took a bit of
time to confirm that someone had entered the 1913 weights at Heywood
instead of the 1923.  That is just one tower!

> Clearly that sort of level of detail cannot be the preserve of one
man.

It would take several and therefore mean an increased possiblity of
errors.  Either that or someone would have to be salaried to look
after it.

> I work with a company data base that holds all the information the
> company generates undertaking design of black boxes for aircraft.
> That has expanded from a totally structured set up with only
approved
> data.

And doing this costs it a fortune!  It can pass these cost to its
customers.  I am quite certain that Dove could not, as people simply
would not be prepared to pay the "going rate".

Mike