Redundant bells in Greenock

alanaj8283 aaj.buswell at 9_5BFN9sWaop2n-DDD1HBKzM_Ul58JC5HUUixD7goIVtJB6omR_14N_iiBEUI3fHnuyPKMdhhzO5Ynxf5o07f8lE.yahoo.invalid
Sat Dec 9 16:52:35 GMT 2006

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, Carl S Zimmerman <csz_stl at ...>
wrote:

> At 21:55 +0000 06/12/08, aaj buswell supplied:
> >... the details of St George, Greenock taken from G&J's Tuning
Book
> >No 15, p115-6.:
>

> I find it highly interesting that G&J assigned the serial numbers
of
> the castings in ringing order (top to bottom) even though this was
> clearly intended as a chime.  I wonder whether Alan can tell us if
> this sort of initial numbering is typical of chimes and carillons
> produced by G&J throughout their history (setting aside those older
> instances where the final numbering was mixed because of the
> diversion or replacement of individual bells).
>
> Carl

  I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary concerning the
serial numbering of G&J's bells. Fron their great carillons down to a
ring of 6 seem to be treated the same. I have not inspected many of
their bells - I leave that to others, but I have noticed that the
position in the peal is also placed on the bell.

AAJB