[Bell Historians] G&J numbering in carillons and chimes (was Greenock)

aaj buswell aaj.buswell at OSO4OycsVyzRapmrXxCLyXMDfSm_2c-J4FA5wE8XtMsomn4dEZVBgI5sz_oPjM36k76HsHWz27dSJGvvbn_qX0pfOV2q.yahoo.invalid
Sat Dec 9 17:05:16 GMT 2006

Oldenzaal in the Netherlands, 42 bells, are numbered downwards, so are Ottawa, Canada, 53 bells. Any number out of sequence may mean that the first casting was not good and replaced. Sometimes they were taken to complete a rushed order and another made. These bells can usually be detected when put into sequential order.

AAJB.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David Cawley
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, December 09, 2006 12:52 AM
  Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] G&J numbering in carillons and chimes (was Greenock)

  Chris's interesting reply to Carl's question has been my experience as well. Coventry Cathedral (cast as a chime), The Royal Exchange (chime of 13), St Matthew Jersey (chime of 8) are just three cases which come immediately to mind - all numbered from 1 (smallest) downwards.

  Question for Carl - did Cyril number his American carillons or chimes 'top down' as well?

  DLC