[Bell Historians] Whitechapel bells in Russia

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at UbUbnAg5ur-4qTjAEW0xC-_nXsrBGfF6yGReaCNbI-UbyYZlHtEMh25y0W9dGVFFQpGWMwKNXSErTdam2sfpHeyH71DG.yahoo.invalid
Tue Dec 12 12:16:15 GMT 2006

I don't know what became of them, or even where they went, but I may be able to tentatively add a little bit about them.

The bells for St.Petersburgh are listed in the early printed Whitechapel catalogues as 7 bells, tenor 17 cwt. The position in the list (sandwiched between datable entries in roughly date order) suggests that they were cast by Thomas Lester in 1747.

The old "peals book" at Whitechapel includes details of a set of seven bells, the largest 16-3-0, for "Langley Bradley". The entry is undated, and there is no indication of the place.  Bradley was a noted clockmaker, still alive in 1747, and it is my conjecture that the bells in the "peals book" were for a clock he made for St. Petersburg.  No proof, but an avenue worth exploring

Bryn Hodgson of the Antiquarian Horological Society has written some excellent articles in Langley Bradley in recent years. I'm pretty sure there isn't a clock in Britain that can be readily associated with these bells, but I don't know if Bryn has explored the St.Petersburg possibility that I suggested to him a while ago.

I was looking at an illustrated book about St.Petersburg only the other day - a very beautiful city with many buildings of this period.

Unable to check full details from here - but this is the gist of it

CP