[Bell Historians] Whitechapel bells in Russia

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at O6aAzCtDs-PMrIZpMBkXDMLJeWuiDfgJcuO-E-mgehOjXdylIvmXtV7XjQdVPvn0dfezQl2loYe0XPLq.yahoo.invalid
Tue Dec 12 15:27:42 GMT 2006

Chris Pickford wrote:
>I was looking at an illustrated book about St.Petersburg only the
>other day - a very beautiful city with many buildings of this period.

Appearances can be deceiving.  My wife and I visited St.Petersburg
two years ago, and learned that it had been largely bombed out in WW
II.  It has subsequently been reconstructed, and buildings along the
main thoroughfares have restored "period" facades, but those are
mostly plaster and paint.

On the other hand, some ancient buildings did survive.  The
Petropavlovskaya Krepost, containing the Cathedral of St.Peter &
St.Paul, is one such area.  The Cathedral tower still contains most
of the Dutch-made bells of the carillon of 1720, though nowadays they
are played automatically.  The same tower also houses a Russian-made
zvon and a modern Dutch-made carillon with manual clavier.

So there is still some hope that the Whitechapel bells of 1747 could
have survived, if indeed St.Petersburg was where they went.

Carl