[Bell Historians] Whitechapel bells in Russia

Anne Willis zen16073 at 9hEZ4vzn9gPNs3OIooEj78JjJ2cRIYNX1wEVelmT76y4uzUamSs0dVxZd1sY0LGSXCmVuPkQw_Q.yahoo.invalid
Tue Dec 12 17:27:33 GMT 2006

Chris Pickford wrote:
>I was looking at an illustrated book about St.Petersburg only the
>other day - a very beautiful city with many buildings of this period.

Appearances can be deceiving. My wife and I visited St.Petersburg
two years ago, and learned that it had been largely bombed out in WW
II. It has subsequently been reconstructed, and buildings along the
main thoroughfares have restored "period" facades, but those are
mostly plaster and paint.

There is a church in Vienna that seems to have marble pillars.  However I
was told by the guide that they are painted wood; the only marble in the
church was a memorial in the vestry.

Anne