[Bell Historians] Unusual chiming machines (was Double Clappering)

Anne Willis zen16073 at _tsiuNpBBPqTWOOlXDSPQEYYetcVcw4uXrAp4y1n7ZZ4nMYj1hFafYtdDk_AjaBLg9s_3TlSwK-7C7k.yahoo.invalid
Fri Dec 22 12:07:44 GMT 2006

  _____

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of David Bryant

A couple of the York threes had unusual chiming machines. Both consisted of
a timber stand about three or four feet high, which supported a metal rod
with three cranks in it. Straps from these cranks were attached to the
clappers, and by rotating it the bells could be clocked in rounds. Of the
two examples, that at St Margaret had an iron wheel by which it was turned,
and that at St Denys had a handle. The St Margaret's one was given to York
Museum when the bells were removed, and I saw it a few years ago in their
large objects warehouse. That at St Denys is still in the tower, but now
partly dismantled.

David

This is all reminiscent of an article, I think in Wireless World, telling
you how to convert a fishing rod into a portable aerial.  I don't think it
was the other way round; we don't usually get fishing magazines.

Anne