Fw: Madras

David Cawley dave at 6q4jR4TD6tqgI84Cj-0L_t8tXJFUbkMK9_cJFoDyow_jLmIojorCGYSIpMT6EHdQyaPDvACXo-vXn5yDJDvtf7Fn.yahoo.invalid
Sat Dec 23 14:58:38 GMT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: David Cawley
To: Carl S Zimmerman
Sent: Saturday, December 23, 2006 2:55 PM
Subject: Madras

Dear Carl

Re Carl's interesting posting:

MADRAS, St George's Cathedral. Sounded from an Ellacombe chiming manual; all 8 are Mears & Stainbank, 1871; a diatonic 8 with the bass bell 48", 20cwt 1qr 27lbin E, and of these I have some prints. The bells were presented by Mr G. Banbury, the chiming apparatus by Revd T Foulkes. The bells are hung 'dead' in two tiers and have never been hung to swing.  There are also three clock bells by Thomas Mears II 1827/8; hour strike and ding-dong quarters, dimensions not known to me. Presented with the clock to the Cathedral (built 1816) in 1828.

DLC