[Bell Historians] Re: Radial Frames

edward martin edward.w.martin at KqLfIcAqDXNEzyzYRuSLc-zxUP99HwEIxxr-E-Fhc_fBIUXgYlICHfKDvxbtcMkdq5MMzpy8HDr8PHfC-JJsPg.yahoo.invalid
Tue Dec 26 14:24:18 GMT 2006

I ring at the Washington National Cathedral & have done since September 1971
when I came here from Leicestershire.

Two or three years ago there was great excitement when we learned that there
was 'talk' of augmenting the existing 10 bells to 12 maybe even with an
extra flat 6th to allow for a variety of eights within the full ring. Many
of our potential new recruits are teenage girls and a choice of lighter
eights would have been just the ticket (turning the current tenor in to
Double Norwich is always a bit of a challenge even for us older folk)

I never actually saw any plans that had been drawn up,even though Richard,
I am an upright citizen- albeit with a slight stoop and noticeable limp
:-)   but I was told that they were considering opening up the radial frame
to allow for the extra bells. There's certainly room for this because at
present they stand on a slightly elevated block of concrete with a clearance
around the perimeter of a couple of feet or so, even then, there is in
addition, a similar amount of walk-around space. Apparently the scheme had
got as far as having structural engineers study the problems & coming
forward with feasible solutions. One of the problems that I had wondered
about was what they would do with each bell as it was removed from its pit
(I suppose 'pit' is the technical term even though the frame is all at
'ground level' so to speak). When the bells were installed, there was a
gigantic crane set up which lowered all the bells through the roof of the
tower.

Unfortunately the scheme seems to have been put on a back burner while the
Cathedral spends a great deal of money excavating and building an
underground car park. But we live in hope.

mew