[Bell Historians] Peculiar Churches.

John Camp camp at Nc_2bTpSVMNbX6lwLPfzWVvQumwFCJbTB-lzXiGS622WimvDBGXMYhzr5TyCTUXxzRBWwXLt59zVxQ.yahoo.invalid
Tue Dec 26 19:28:30 GMT 2006

At 18:52 on 26 December 2006, David Cawley wrote:
> Which just goes to show that Wilkipedia or whatever its called does
> not know everything.

> D. L. Cawley, FSA, BD, AKC, Vicar, The Royal Foundatuion of St Mary de
> Castro, Leicester, The Queen's Preacher at The Newarke

The usually accepted definition of a peculiar is a church of which the
ultimate regulatory authority is someone other than the diocesan bishop.
It is, for jurisdictional purposes, outside the area of the diocese in
which it is geographically located. A royal peculiar is one where the
sovereign is the ultimate authority. (I am doubtful whether the Temple
Church can properly be called a royal peculiar, as the ultimate
authority is, as far as I know, the Honourable Societies of the Inner
Temple and Middle Temple acting jointly.)

I wonder if David can give us some more information about St Mary de
Castro. Is it within the Diocese of Leicester? Is David, in his capacity
as Vicar, subject to episcopal authority? Does the diocesan faculty
jurisdiction operate?

John Camp