[Bell Historians] Peculiar Churches.

David Cawley dave at eCupFVN4ilvzIvfT6SgsEPXrmu8spgJu5mu4WyIZPlZX2FV4CLOkJ4WyBRKWRcCaQf4DSeQOPGz7lHgCjBNyYPMaTUkbGA.yahoo.invalid
Wed Dec 27 01:13:36 GMT 2006

At the risk of boring members of the list on a subject which is definitely off-topic as regards bell history: the nave and chancel (both formerly collegiate, and still styled as such) is now, and the south aisle (parochial) always has been, subject to the authority of the bishop; the north transept or chapel of St Anne and the annexed Trinity Hospital Chapel nearby are not so subject. Curiously, it was in the former that I swore the Oath of Allegiance and that of Canonical Obedience prior to Induction as Vicar, and also the also the Oath of Allegiance prior to receiving the Letters Patent appointing me The Queen's Preacher at the Newarke.
All of which of course makes no practical difference within our tower nor to the ring of eight bells, all arrangements regarding which are competently carried through by our excellent Tower Master, Kingsley Mason.

That's all

DLC
  ---
  -- Original Message -----
  From: John Camp
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 7:28 PM
  Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Peculiar Churches.

  At 18:52 on 26 December 2006, David Cawley wrote:
  > Which just goes to show that Wilkipedia or whatever its called does
  > not know everything.

  > D. L. Cawley, FSA, BD, AKC, Vicar, The Royal Foundatuion of St Mary de
  > Castro, Leicester, The Queen's Preacher at The Newarke

  The usually accepted definition of a peculiar is a church of which the
  ultimate regulatory authority is someone other than the diocesan bishop.
  It is, for jurisdictional purposes, outside the area of the diocese in
  which it is geographically located. A royal peculiar is one where the
  sovereign is the ultimate authority. (I am doubtful whether the Temple
  Church can properly be called a royal peculiar, as the ultimate
  authority is, as far as I know, the Honourable Societies of the Inner
  Temple and Middle Temple acting jointly.)

  I wonder if David can give us some more information about St Mary de
  Castro. Is it within the Diocese of Leicester? Is David, in his capacity
  as Vicar, subject to episcopal authority? Does the diocesan faculty
  jurisdiction operate?

  John Camp