[Bell Historians] Peculiar

Andrew Case a.case at 4uT8ml8PH0CEoFB8qSghnkTiQc__QrzovkcULYZmBb6YPnry9HbDovsHWjaIpFUeAzvzidNfjST5LRKV.yahoo.invalid
Wed Dec 27 20:05:58 GMT 2006

John Camp writes
> Nearly all peculiars, except royal ones, were abolished
>by schemes made under the Ecclesiastical Commissioners Acts 1836 and
>1850.
>
>I think that the author of the Wikipedia article is under the impression
>that all peculiars are royal peculiars.

Alan Buswell has kept quiet since raising this issue, but I've no doubt
that the question was asked with St James without the Priory Gate,
Southwick, Hampshire in mind. I think this church may have escaped the
Acts JEC refers to since it is still outside Portsmouth Diocesan
control. The Vicar is appointed by the Lord of the Manor and his estate
still owns most of the land and property in and around the village.
--
Andrew Case