[Bell Historians] Peculiar

Alan Buswell aaj.buswell at Rx0Jdk1ohNXpIXnJQLOb8A1-gtxCaYwYTwfBrg8w3Ku3hkcsBeddlUXFgtjlsCEh1BvOjbfN_2aJTY-gKl7m7w.yahoo.invalid
Fri Dec 29 09:53:59 GMT 2006

As Andrew Case mentions - I only ring at Sowthwick. The politics of the church here is a delicate subject. The ringers that we have, have to consider it a privilege to be able to ring here.
AAJB
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Andrew Case
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2006 10:06 PM
  Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Peculiar

  John Camp writes
  >At 20:05 on 27 December 2006, Andrew Case wrote:
  >

  >> Southwick, Hampshire
  >
  >The fact that the patron of the living is the Lord of the Manor, or
  >Trinity College, Cambridge, or the Archbishop of Canterbury has
  >absolutely no bearing on whether a church is a peculiar. The records for
  >this parish show that R Thistlewayte Esq is the patron and that the
  >parish is within the Diocese of Portsmouth. It is not a peculiar. What
  >makes Andrew say that it is outside the control of the diocese?

  My view rather based on hearsay I'm afraid. It is called a 'peculiar'
  locally. I understand that the vicar is an employee of the Estate rather
  than the Diocese and that he takes his instructions from Mr
  Thistlethwayte. I also thought that the Bishop of Portsmouth only
  visited the church when invited to do so by Mr T. Of course this may all
  be local legend!

  Perhaps Alan will help us a bit more - he rings there.
  --
  Andrew Case