[Bell Historians] St Clement Danes

alantaylor1 at oPoYchPUm5_yXtpzTq5Nq2M-v02vasZDet7VudileYWYJ5y98QF9c8j54CI_iasYmFqu6MwouZz-zMf9KFis0q5Awg.yahoo.invalid alantaylor1 at oPoYchPUm5_yXtpzTq5Nq2M-v02vasZDet7VudileYWYJ5y98QF9c8j54CI_iasYmFqu6MwouZz-zMf9KFis0q5Awg.yahoo.invalid
Thu Feb 2 13:17:56 GMT 2006

David,

On my next trip to the Achieve, this will be sooner rather than later, I
will check on the extra bell. Also, to see if I can find out what happened
to the Wilton Road bells.

Judging by the pictures, St John's had a beautiful interior.

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of David Cawley
Sent: 02 February 2006 12:24
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] St Clement Danes

This is a very interesting and apparently conclusive posting. I had always
been under the clearly mistaken impression that they were taken down when
the blitz started. In London, this was done at
St Magnus
Southwark
St Bartholomew the Great
St Bartholomew the Less (back 2)
St Andrew Undershaft
All of which survived the War with their churches and towers knocked about,
but largely intact!
I had always understood that it was done at SCD but Alan's letter seems to
give chapter and verse. The picture I have does show the fallen bells with
iron stocks and the chiming and clock machines in something of a heap.

Just one query - I understood that the note D chiming bell - a sharp fifth -

was an addition to the set, after the war, to improve the 'Oranges and
Lemons' tune. Apparently not, so when was the original one put up and by
whom?  When Jarram inspected the bells in 1902 there was the ring of ten,
the back eight by Wightman 1693 and the trebles by Oliver 1844, together
with the Sanctus, Mot 1588 - a truly marvellous survivor. Rehung 1919.

Re Wilton Road, there is a picture, the only one I know, in Robinson p. 217.

A bit Star-Streety in appearance, Warner bells too (1878): what happened to
them? The church was badly damaged and was demolished in a purge of such
buildings (e.g. Holy Trinity, Vauxhall Bridge Road and Christ Church
Victoria Street) in this locality in 1954.

DLC

Thankas again to Alan for his posting.

DLC