[Bell Historians] highest ring of bells

Simon Reading simonreading at nWpE-gyRF59AQODnC7gXcEGBr3vDM4doirYO0I-DAOJ0nhwKCVjB9Ioa6yd9dwR-lB-eESGylXlnAEYgYFsvzKk.yahoo.invalid
Tue Feb 14 07:30:25 GMT 2006

Richard Offen wrote:

>I think Wormhill, Derbyshire always used to be considered the ring
>furthest above sea level in the UK, but I seem to remember several
>debates on the matter, so, no doubt, someone will correct me if I'm
>wrong!

You're wrong, Richard!
Wormhill (formerly the lightest ring of bells in a church) is between
315 & 320 metres above sea level. However, the nearby 5 at Chelmorton is
approximately 370 metres. Both of these are in the Derbyshire Peak
District, near Bakewell. Another contender is the eight at Queensbury,
between Halifax & Bradford which is at a similar height. According to
the local website http://www.queensburyvillage.co.uk/  "at 1100 feet
above sea level, we can boast the highest high school in England, and
...it is recorded that the parish church possesses the highest peal of
bells in the British Isles."

Simon