[Bell Historians] Taylors 'Grimthorpe' bells

David Cawley dave at ...
Fri Jan 6 21:41:39 GMT 2006

CD has backed up what I said about Denison / Beckett / Grimthorpe personal
involvement and the three cases he cites were exactly that, as of course was
the previous and present Big Ben. The most extreme example of his work after
Westminster is "Edmund" (named after him - JT 1888) of St Alban's Abbey. It
hangs in the E turret of the N transept, is 36" diameter, 11-0-20 in C# !

Far Headingley - where he was either architect and at the builder's side -
were a true Grimthorpe octave (8, 18-1-19 in G, 1867-76). Denison Taylor
wrote in 1932 to the Vicar: "My father in casting this peal was not allowed
a free hand and had to work to the orders he received, viz. that the peal
was to be cast to the designs of the late Lord Grimthorpe who was such an
advocate of thick and high pitched bells. The peal does not do justice to my
father and his work..." The result is given in the inscription on the
present tenor: THESE EIGHT BELLS / CAST TO THE SPECIFICATION OF / THE FIRST
LORD GRIMTHORPE / BY JOHN WILLIAM TAYLOR, SENIOR / WERE RECAST IN 1933 / BY
HIS SON EDMUND DENISON TAYLOR / AT HIS EXPENSE.

So far as Madresfield is concerned, it is curious that a Faculty was granted
for the destruction of the 4th and tenor; at the same time one was refused
to ship the derelict carillon machine out to Swan Bells in Perth (after full
refurbishment) on the grounds that it was part of the heritage of
Madresfield Church. Presumably the Chancellor was led astray by that much
misused word "Recast" (indeed, the fine gothic inscriptions on the former
4th and tenor have been beautifully reproduced on the new treble and
second).

DLC