[Bell Historians] Bellfounder - William Hambling?

Susan & Christopher Dalton dalton.family at 0pRZiaJOOEvHEwuDO48Am0nczQ4SOW6ptD6LNQT3YevHEH4dA6LkM_vnSddxsodYClxofXFin6MVhxCzPbM.yahoo.invalid
Wed Jul 5 13:38:28 BST 2006

> William Hambling was casting at Blackawton 1823 to 1852 according
> to Hope's "English Bellfounders". Is anything known of him part from
> what is in Ellacombe's "Church Bells of Devon"?

>> I have seen a number of Hambling's bells - not that he seems to have
>> cast very many, and those that there are are all quite near home.  Not
>> aware that he ventured into handbells, but he might have.
>>
>> C D
>
> Data that John Scott has kindly provided us for the proto-NBR show
> that Hambling was the founder of the following bells:
>
> Denbury      5/5 1829  7cwt
> East Ogwell  6/6 1828  6cwt
> Halwell      4/6 1823 ? cwt
> South Pool   6/6 1821 11-0-4
> Thurlestone  3/6 1844 ? cwt

Far less than I had remembered, even allowing for some subsequent recasting.

The Denbury and East Ogwell tenors don't sound so bad, as I recall.  (I
haven't heard South Pool.)

C D