Castle Drogo

Andrew Cairns andrew.cairns at ETI7-TKYFtQot1EQ3HeF5aWGt3Ehg9Eh5YtVfWyxTuqGIoM6ruqP7thUuMj_hwDBDQXcPJzZWJj-UNt7kl2bb0s.yahoo.invalid
Fri Jul 14 20:26:39 BST 2006

During a recent holiday in Devon, we visited Castle Drogo (nr Drewsteignton)
which was built in the early 20th century and is now in the care of the NT.
There is a chapel attached to the house with a substantial granite bellcote
and largish (for a house) bell, at a guess I would say 4cwt. It is hung with
a wheel but no stay. No inscription was visible from the nearby courtyard
and the attendants in the house did not know the founder but said that it
was going to be investigated soon as the bellcote is due to be dismantled in
the next two weeks to allow repair work to be done on the roof. Anyone know
anything more about this bell?

Andrew Cairns