[Bell Historians] A wake for the bells?

La Greenall eldeworth at Zi_k4nIL-0C-UWxuyci_gJ1lmceKwgxk_YZZbhTduyf1A-IsvDtqs4zZPx95D8kQKaOXuxi8Kr9NCqaiFfkJNLs.yahoo.invalid
Sun Jul 23 01:00:40 BST 2006

Thankyou very much Anne. I was thinking along the same lines too, though
I've never heard of 'waking' or 'arousing' a new set of bells before - I
wonder if this is an echo of ancient superstitions? Maybe the bells
weren't called 'she' or 'her' (as they often were in our local
churchwardens' accounts) until after this ceremony had been performed.

Has anyone heard of similar ceremonies on new sets of bells? Did anyone
throw bottles of champagne at them?

We also have the term 'knell' in Essex, though it seems to be rare.

I do have a copy of Tate's Parish Chest somewhere, but I have to admit I
bought it long ago when I began doing my family tree and hadn't
considered its value in other areas. Thanks!

Regards, Lawrence.