[Bell Historians] Engravings of Rudhall's foundry

Richard Offen richard at PtvshvxarogoHlzo5_7eFL-dHO34cDRUg1L9cXaKbeeJyHGJ0pWuQx8tVryhpKxCpOCFLig.yahoo.invalid
Tue Jul 25 02:45:19 BST 2006

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Chris Pickford"
<c.j.pickford.t21 at ...> wrote:

> The engravings actually show Rudhall's tuning machine after it had
been installed at Whitechapel. So they are Whitechapel (not Rudhall /
Gloucester) really, and they were first used in a Whitechapel
brochure or catalogue of the 1860s. I think the original drawings
were done by W.T. Kimber, the Whitechapel moulder and artist.

> I know of no engravings of Rudhall's foundry at Gloucester
>
> All in haste and from memory, so E&OE!
>
> CP

Sorry, my caption for the slide on the Central Council web site (I
put the pictures and words together for the CC) isn't perhaps as
clear as it might be in determining where the engraving was made:

"An improvement came with the application of lathe technology to bell
tuning. This engraving shows the tuning machine employed by the
Rudhall foundry in Gloucester. The machine was later moved to
Whitechapel when the Gloucester firm was taken over."

The engraving is indeed by Kimber and quite clearly shows the
Whitechapel tuning room much as it is today - all rumours that the
man in the hat and waistcoat operating the machine is a young Nigel
Taylor are completely without foundation!

Once the CC Web Master gets back from his hols, the photos will be
updated, adding an appropriate source acknowledgement to each slide
and making a couple of picture additions.

Anyone who has quality photographs (from many of the photos I've been
offered so far, it seems that ringers quite like out of focus or
badly posed/framed photos ...come back Chris Dalton, all is
forgiven!), preferably high resolution digital images, of bell
related subject matter which they would be willing to allow us to
use, please let me know off list.

Richard