[Bell Historians] Warners

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at G1YHkrFu5jPKVVkqlsjCZWAknyqTM_DgS9NzV4cgYCb97ARDeNEprp3EoVtoTUMBmkmrNEfXDYIWSg.yahoo.invalid
Fri Jun 2 06:18:14 BST 2006

At 22:16 +0100 06/05/23, David Bryant wrote:
>  > You guessed it!
>
>Is there a lug cast on the bell which fits in the headstock or
>anything? Surely the whole bell would just rotate when tightened
>otherwise!

Many 19th c. American bellfounders followed the practice of using a
square hole in the bell and a matching square hole in the yoke
(headstock), together with a square-shanked bolt.  The head of this
bolt might be either square or rectangular to hold the clapper
bracket in alignment.

However, each foundry had its own method of "rotary mounting", often
patented.  Some of these (including all which used square center
holes) would only permit quarter-turning.  But others would allow any
desired degree of rotation of the bell without losing alignment of
the clapper.

I hope to add a page on this subject to the TowerBells.org Website someday.

Carl