Orlando Cathedral

John Paul Adams J.Adams at gRMKbHzCD1S6MtEIu1EGhEkzyfMyRPP7ha7aGdFBdLFJmVfaorOR_rxb3-BaKyExa1EaVRrXs8k.yahoo.invalid
Fri Jun 2 11:43:47 BST 2006

Dear all,

I am researching the one bell hung for ringing at the Episcopal
Cathedral Church of Luke in Orlando, Florida, USA.

Church website is at:

 http://www.stlukescathedral.org/

I have uploaded a picture of the bell and its frame to the Yahoo
site in the Photo section.

The new cathedral was built in 1925 but not completed. The bell
tower was added in 1987 and the bell hung for ringing at that
time.

The bell was cast by McShane of Baltimore in 1884 for the previous
Cathedral.

The Cathedral Archivist does not know who hung the bell when the
tower was built. From the photo, I think it might have been Taylors
but it could easily have been hung locally to designs from the UK.

I know of two people that have rung it in the early 90s and an
article appared in the Ringing World by Paul Williams. I am not
sure if it included any more technical information. Does anyone
have a page reference to that?

As American bells hung for English style change ringing are quite
rare (I couldn't find any listed on the GCNA site apart from
Exeter, Ontario, and they don't seem to be properly hung), any
information would be welcomed.

Cheers,
John.

--
   John Paul Adams, Medical School IT Support Section, Cruciform Building
         University College London, Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT.