[Bell Historians] Old peals of ten and twelve

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at 7yzTtPcOQA-ogbNsRQpgotWyEANwBtjE3pdWSEPB-tayoazz9o2qiMuReKh_SUF5y3UN9WhFr8mTImhs3VdvqYKDkmTDgrY.yahoo.invalid
Mon Jun 12 17:29:29 BST 2006

Replied to this earlier but message never appeared. Have raised this with DB previously, who confirmed that message had gone straight to the list archives without being posted. Mention this in case others have experienced the same problem. Message re-sent as below

Pretty sure that the score on the ones you mention is:
Ashton - yes, almost certainly retuned
Oxford - not retuned, so far as I know
Chelsea - not retuned when rehung in c.1893, nor since
Leeds (Kent) - no significant retuning, although Alf Bowell may have made some minor adjustments

Cheltenham (certainly as a ten) and All Saints Worcester (the back ten, although several dates and now retuned) are fairly good examples - reasonably intact. Wrexham (retuned) too. Agree Soham as suggested by Sue Marsden. Also Stonham Aspal. Bromsgrove if you want something (er, trying to avoid being rude) a little different

Just a few hasty thoughts on this

CP

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Bill Hibbert
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, June 12, 2006 11:34 AM
  Subject: [Bell Historians] Old peals of ten and twelve

  After being away from it for too long, I have now resumed work on my
  bell acoustics investigations. As part of this I am interested in old
  peals of ten and twelve (pre 1850-ish) which were substantially all
  provided as a set, where the trebles still survive and have not been
  retuned.

  For twelves, I have recorded Painswick and Mancroft. As regards other
  twelves, I have some questions:
  * were Ashton under Lyne retuned in 1927?
  * were Oxford retuned in 1952?
  Are there any other twelves I should consider? (I can't find any more
  on Michael Wilby's list).

  As regards tens, I know of St Luke's Chelsea. Have Leeds (Kent) been
  tuned? (the only candidate I can find on Kent bells). Are there any
  other lists I should look at? Does anyone know of other untuned old
  tens?

  Many thanks,

  Bill H