[Bell Historians] Re: Old peals of ten and twelve

Bickerton, Roderic K (SELEX) (UK) roderic.bickerton at -lfy2mQV1qoUFHVVzEnsDGGZHatGUR7eWlx3tYH76ntL5JOL3amHvek1ofyhpd6GvJcwYL02F0B2-4bwXgn9alojqSPPKQ.yahoo.invalid
Tue Jun 13 16:52:25 BST 2006

It happens, I visited Stockport S George in the late 1960's and could
hardly believe the change in sound when I went back 1983. Tuning made a
huge difference outside and inside the effect of replacing wood with
steel considerably increased the higher frequencies and clapper knock
was introduced. This was not present in the previous installation.

I was going to mention Wisbech, Cambs, but wasnt sure if they had ben
retuned when they were rehung a few years ago. I asked someone last
night - Yes, he said, they spoiled the only Dobson 10 in existance.
Sue Marsden