Cheltenham [was old peals of ten and twelve]

Andrew Bull a_m_bull at 6zDvtq436DXJbqlgFvYN2lL2o1Hfcq6rHplHPx_sAXblNwaERJDWKrJ9bH6hS6RKodzriGGWdha4AOfzUddT.yahoo.invalid
Tue Jun 13 19:41:41 BST 2006

I'm interested to see Cheltenham listed as a possible "untouched"
ten/twelve, as there is actually little information available as to the
current state of the bells.

The weights quoted for the bells are actually based on the "as supplied"
weights of 1823/1833. The weights quoted by John Rudhall (courtesy of Chris
Pickford) for the back ten are:

 1.  6-0-19
 2.  5-2-3
 3.  6-0-12
 4.  6-2-2
 5.  7-0-3
 6.  8-1-3
 7.  9-2-26
 8. 12-0-15
 9. 15-0-25
10. 22-2-16

Comparing these with the various details given for these bells is
interesting. For a start, the back four have lost their canons, and yet
22-2-16 is still quoted for the tenor. Nowhere have I seen definitive
details of exactly what work was carried out by Whitechapel in 1911. A local
newpaper article of the time quoted on the tower website states that the
bells were retuned in 1911; if so, is there a revised set of weights? Does
anyone have the details?

Andrew Bull