Cheltenham / Wisbech

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at FpqbhdgVhwpPxKwmZK9wv1Een-pwZ1z3uVUeTti7quw2wCFpzyQRSioF76hhAMT9vnTN2aoHvI6u8VBnncW0jw9ovK8WsLwZ_Hg.yahoo.invalid
Tue Jun 13 19:57:52 BST 2006

Just to echo Andrew Bull's sentiments on Wisbech, which were (as Neil Skelton says) previously retuned in the 1930s at Whitechapel. A fine ring - by whatever means they got there! - and predominantly true-harmonic in character. I did ring there in 1970, but can't honestly say I have any clear recollections of what they were like before the later retuning.

Cheltenham may have been retuned in 1911 (I don't know either way for sure), but only to adjust strike notes - not harmonics - if they were.

Not sure how St.George's Stockport got in this discussion - they're well post-1850 (1896-ish from memory), and I think that they were rehung in the tower without retuning in the 1980s.

"Oxford" in Bill's original query list is Christ Church, where the trebles were replaced in 1952

CP