Stockport St George

Bill Hibbert bill at 2bypHTUrvSgzgHay8Q0LFi29Wsar05QpJhYkOxH9x5p9-ypS3Lqw4Tr9viYMZGN51u606Q9imYrHvNIwwQ.yahoo.invalid
Wed Jun 14 08:54:42 BST 2006

Some facts on these: they were installed in 1896 (I rang in the
centenary peal on 14/12/1996). They were definitely not removed from
the tower or retuned when rehung twenty or thirty years ago. The
timber frame is above the tower roof at the base of the spire, and
WBF were glad that they hadn't had to get them out, it would have
meant dismantling part of the frame. One of the bells (I think the
9th) had been rehung on ball-bearings quite a while ago, in the
recent rehang they were all done together.

Subsequent to the rehang, a lightweight roof was built above the
bells to keep the weather off. Previously, when left up, they used to
fill with rain or snow in bad weather. Whether this changed the sound
of the bells I am unsure.

To analyse is to destroy: I used to think these were smashing bells
to listen to, especially from the road outside. When I recorded and
analysed them recently they turned out, from a tuning perspective, to
be a bit of a rough old lot.

Bill H