Fortnum & Mason, Piccadilly

Richard Offen richard at qvtz2-D9mxEVoYqbW11Cvi9rlwyi6vP1LIgpAMR7KELWMhGfPjqeXGgkvQ9DMUe0k8gANhkJ.yahoo.invalid
Fri Jun 30 06:16:20 BST 2006

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Love, Dickon"
<dickon.love at ...> wrote:

> I was given permission to view the mysterious chime of bells at the
Fortnum & Mason store in Piccadilly last month. I identifed them as a
Mears & Stainbank chime of 17 bells dated 1962. Thanks to NT we have
a little more information. The results (with photographs) can be seen
on my Westminster site:

> http://westminster.lovesguide.com
>
> I hope to put a video on in due course showing the little dance
made by the figures of Mr Fortnum and Mr Mason, along with one of the
airs that is played during it.

> DrL

Along similar lines, I recently bought a copy of the book "Music in
the Market Place", which is primarily a history of the huge organ in
the Wannamaker Store in Philadelphia.

When the book arrived, I was delighted to discover that a whole
chapter was devoted to the huge G & J bell which was cast and meant
to have been ready in time for the celebrations of 150th anniversary
of American Independence.   Alas, according to the book, after
tuning, the bell was discovered to have a serious flaw in its casting
(does anyone know what this was?) and had to be recast
yet another
of Cyril Johnston's highly profitable exploits!

The second bell was cast, tune and despatched supposedly in time to
chime midnight to mark the beginning of 1927.   Unfortunately, in the
presence of a large number of dignitaries, the mechanism failed and
the bell remained stubbornly silent!   Eventually, but not that
fateful night, this 15 ton giant (the first of G & J's series of
monster, tuned bells) found its voice, only to cause disappointment
because it could not be heard 30 miles away as had confidently been
predicted!