Jeanne d'Arc bell, great and small

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at Sz_c2Xl3PnrEzOkT9tZvvrKXy8O4eYwL8R27VoLvBCVbnmOyv8Qfre-Q_Q6pnydVmjCRKcnulpMt.yahoo.invalid
Fri Jun 30 15:33:17 BST 2006

It may be fairly well known that there have been two versions of the
great bell of Rouen Cathedral, "Jeanne d'Arc".  When I was building a
Webpage on the great bells of Europe a couple of months ago, it was
easy to find some information about them.

Earlier this week I was surprised to be told that a much smaller
version of the first "Jeanne d'Arc" exists in the USA.  Why it was
made and how it got to its current location are presently unknown.
I'm sending an inquiry to Philippe Paccard to see whether the foundry
records shed any light on its history.  Meanwhile, you can read as
much as is known about the three bells here:
    http://www.gcna.org/data/EUGreatBells.html#FRRC1
That link points to a paragraph about the first bell (1914-44); from
there you can find links to the second bell (1951 or 1959?) and to a
Scout camp page with a photo of the small bell and translation of its
inscriptions.

Further information from other sources would be most welcome.

Carl