[Bell Historians] Steel bell protective coatings

Robert Lewis editor at XSvhkeJpHm5Q0iSwPIGz2OCiEvV5k-K0sR2bqPLN9atDjIDTCpFcBwav33HeZthOYBX6fEVhq48_i_D1QIKraA.yahoo.invalid
Thu Mar 9 11:58:06 GMT 2006

I relayed the advice about WAXOYL and received the following information in
return, which may be of some interest.

RAL

"Subject:
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 11:44:47 -0800
From: "Dianna Broadie" <DBROADIE at AFWnBwUiORtQJgoKT8y64_fpyIoGA4WNA0XW5HHo5JDnP1Wf6lcmvz0TtdJQFHtRBjUDaTG-zQkPDQ.yahoo.invalid>
To: <editor at kJQR-KzGOiE1xOR1FMt4ls3GX6ENXu7HUZmUa1FPqr-fKftbWwuuPOh_BhMNSblqHoxJNUbIbO4XeINmrKgAAiw.yahoo.invalid>
Cc: "Gray, Donovan \(GA\)" <dgray at puaFlyryAle3mXZZ-4bh5kZvmNNjIQYkUyZwSFyBgiB6gPYvsjovbElfouVqRgTlzYRVVfLPWbXq.yahoo.invalid>

Had your e-mail forwarded from our state office.  Thanks for the
advice.  We got the following response on our research which is what led to
the questions:

"Your bell is indeed made of cast iron (or cast steel actually), and was
produced by the Cincinnati Bell Company, Cincinnati, Ohio. It is

impossible to date it exactly, but the timespan which you indicate does fit
with what little is known about that company. ...............

cast steel bells were a commodity product, mass produced and distributed
through a wide variety of outlets.

The "30" in the inscription refers to the size of the bell - it must be
approximately 30 inches in diameter (measured across the mouth).

I expect that the "30" and the "CIN BELL CO" parts of the inscription are
on opposite sides of the center of the yoke from which the bell

is suspended. There might also be a "30" on top of the bell itself. All
would be in raised lettering, integral to the original castings."

We have had another response since that and he told us that if we can get
him the diameter of the bell he has a table that will give us the weight &
tone.  Haven't gotten that info as of yet.  We don't have records of the
casting however we can roughtly date it because in 1892 he first one-room
school house was erected to replace the orginal log schoolhouse and there
is a photo with a bell.  The Cincinnati Bell Company cast bells from 1814
to 1889.  We do not know if it was purchased directly from them or
secondhand.  There were some subsequent schoolhouses with bells that
replaced this structure but they probably reused the same bell as Redmond
at the time was a very small community which could not have afforded that
kind of "luxury",

Interestingly, our community has two bells, the other belonging to the
school district.  A prominent family, the Clises, donated it to a church,
it was then donated to the City which used it as the fire bell, and when
that use was no longer neccessary it went to the local highschool.  That
bell was cast in West Troy, New York by the  Meneely Bell Company and is
inscribed with the date 1912. This is a 38 inch diameter bell, weighs 1,100
lbs, and sound a A-flat when rung.

Not bad for a little community that incorporated in 1912 with all of 300
people!!"